View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #22
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Hung mine up a long time ago, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Good luck, Dan. I'm sure you'll have fun. I hung up my skates years ago. Later, my daughter, who had skated in school, convinced my wife to join a women's league. She did OK considering no on-ice hockey experience--figure skates only, as a kid.
Last resort: my last time on the ice was driving a Zamboni.
Last last resort: I never had one, so new boat next year will be christened "Hat Trick", and I will finally have one.
Still have my Super Tacks w/Tuuk 2000 blades- 1980!. My understanding, later, was that the black, plastic blade frame/mount (which was hollow) was susceptible to cracking when hit by a puck.

I worked at a VERY busy rink in Darien, Ct. Home ice to four high schools and the largest youth hockey program in New England. Saturdays started at 5am with the little guys (all dressed, with skates already on (rubber guards). The day's schedule allowed for 4-5 hours of ice time. Public skating at noon (or 1:00?) so, make quick ice, sharpen 100 pairs of rental skates (you think we need masks now?) and wait for "bleeders" who fell!

The NY Rangers sometimes used our ice for preseason practice before the Playland ice went in at Rye. Some of those guys were freakin' huge!

Ya! Make perfect ice- the crowd loved you- chant your name! Screw something up- berate you like you'd killed one of their own! DON'T FORGET TO CHOP THE ICE WHILE IN PROGRESS!!!

I still use the Zamboni pattern when mowing my lawn- two times around the perimeter, once down the middle, then one pass on each opposite side till done.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote