View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #12
jeffk

Faster is better, although at a few sites I have gotten some strange errors that didn't used to happen. I'm wondering if, for those sites, data is being now pulled at a rate faster than they can handle it? It's hard to be sure. I notice that if I scroll slowly, no errors. Scroll quickly and it errors out.

However, that is an aberration. Most sites respond very well.

My speed went from 80 down/10 up on a projected 100 Mb service to 160 down/22 up on a projected 250 Mb service. It's very nicely faster but only 64% of the potential vs. 80% of the potential previously. I am, of course, splitting technical hairs. The increased speed has stabilized our zoom sessions and downloads happen in the blink of an eye (metaphorically), so I am very pleased.

As my bill has creeped up over the years I have wondered what I was getting for my money. The BIG thing for me was the high speed internet. I went from a DSL service that COULD NOT be improved because of my distance from the CO and would have barely supported zoom, to very capable 100Mb service. We backup photos from all our devices (Android & iPhone, and iPad) to Google. When we got back to the house after taking, say 50 photos, we could count on it taking over a half hour to upload on DSL. After, the upgrade to cable, it took less than 5 minutes. Now, with the boosted service, a couple minutes. By the time we are in the house and I get to the computer, it's already done. That "already doneness" is a nice gift.

The TV content, blah. I only have the "Value service" but there is not much I watch. I do have ROKU but, so far, have found it to be an "embarrassment of riches", too much to sort through to find something interesting and a LOT of free content garbage although I DO ENJOY the free TED Talks. The interesting stuff is mostly paid content. I may get Netflix at some point but with an ABB bill of $193 for internet and basic TV, I don't want to be spending MORE for stuff I don't watch.

For now I am happy with the very competent 160 MB download speed which has almost eliminated delays in any activities that use the internet.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote