Thread: Foxy Boats
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Chickie

Default Foxy Boats and Lavallee Barge

Thank you, Admiral Goodie for the answer to my question, “Whatever happened to the Foxy Boats?” I thought I remembered that one of them had been given a second life as a steamboat, but was not sure if that was correct.

To hear that the other one was likely burned at the stake is disquieting. Nothing lasts forever, I guess. I know both boats were rather old by the time they arrived here and began plying the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee, so it is not too surprising that the end was near. I hope Capt. Carl’s widow, Amy, never learned of its fate. The boats were so very near and dear to her heart and I’m sure she would have wept had she heard of its cremation.

On another related note, in 1949 Capt. Ed Lavallee purchased a large barge from John Goodhue who was then operating a boatyard in Quincy, MA. It was cut into sections and hauled to the Foxy Boats (Wallace) property, where it remained for the winter. It was reassembled and set sail in the spring to dredge the Weirs Channel and construct Weirs Beach. Oddly enough, Lavallee sold the barge back to Mr. Goodhue around 1956 and about a year later Goodhue sold the barge to a company with headquarters in Staten Island, NY. It was dismantled once again and trucked to Portsmouth, where it was to be reassembled and sent over water to N.Y. Wonder if that old barge is still around somewhere?

Last edited by Chickie; 03-10-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: error
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote