View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #53
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Only half the hike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Nice photo UP, we were thinking of Pine Mt AKA Alton Mt yesterday but did another hike.

That short hike up the Morse preserve has to be one of the best views of the lake to be had.
We decided after hiking up to the top, then taking the wide trail to the east of the top on the way down, stopping for a couple of sandwiches, and then continuing down to the parking lot, to do the Mike Burke Trail.

We headed out, and the last time we hiked the trail, it seemed to be a loop that went off the back of the parking lot, and then went into the woods, generally moving to the right, and ending up being an uphill climb back into the parking lot right by the road.

Well, we were following the blue "Public Trail" signs put out the Alton Conservation Committee, and the trail started a pretty good up hill and then moved to our left as we were hiking. It continued to climb, and move toward the South or Southwest. Finally it ran along a ridge, and then started a descent. Ah good. All of a sudden, the trail maker signs disappeared, and so we stopped. The tracks were had been following had split, and so we followed one trail to the left. Found one sign, then no more. Ok, plenty of daylight, and the old hiking adage: Follow the downhill, and follow the stream. I knew it would either take us to Avery Hill Road, or our original track. Ended up being the road, about a quarter mile east of the parking lot. Still a nice hike. They do need to mark the trail just a little better. Fun day.