View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I went to this site to find out what it would cost to register my car in Wolfeboro.

http://www.ereg.us/

Enter the town name from the drop down menu and click the "Register My Car" button. When you get to the next page there is an "Get and Estimate " button. You have to fill in some info and there is help right there online to get the weight of your car and retail estimate (looks high to me).

$299 Wolfeboro $65.60 State (new license plate ,no vanity plate)
$299 Wolfeboro $118.93 State (new license plate, vanity plate)
It's less when I renew or if I get a "Moose" plate"

Hope this helps those looking for an estimate.
Thanks Cate. Great info. Just got estimates for the wife's car and my truck. A 2004 Camry Solara Convertible and a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter. I can't wait to move up to NH. Rather inexpensive compared to Mass excise tax which is as follows:

An excise at the rate of $25 per one thousand dollars of valuation (effective 1/1/81) is levied on each motor vehicle. Information on the value of a motor vehicle is accessed electronically through a data bank complete with valuation figures. Different sources provide the valuation figures depending upon whether the motor vehicle is an automobile, a truck, a motorcycle, or a trailer. For example, automobile valuations are derived from figures published in the National Automobile Dealers Association Official Used Car Guide (NADA), to which the Registry has electronic access. Most public libraries have copies of NADA and other motor vehicle official guides.
Figures are the manufacturers’ list prices for vehicles in their year of manufacture. Present market value, price paid, or condition are not considered for excise tax purposes. The excise tax law (M.G.L. c.60A, s.1) establishes its own formula for valuation for state tax purposes whereby only the manufacturer’s list price and the age of the motor vehicle are considered. The formula is as follows:

In the year preceding the model year
(brand new car released before model year)
50%
In the model year
90%
In the second year
60%
In the third year
40%
In the fourth year
25%
In the fifth and succeeding years
10%

Every motor vehicle owner must pay an excise tax based on valuation of at least ten percent of the manufacturer’s list price; thus, owners of vehicles older than five years should have a fixed excise tax bill for succeeding years of ownership. Even though an owner may have applied for an abatement that may reduce an excise tax bill, no excise shall be less than $5.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote