View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #29
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Has any one else observed what my son and I have termed "willful, planned interference" by the sail and paddle crowd.?...
Sunday I saw a lot of sail and kayak traffic in and around Gendale, I was in my power boat. Two kayaks we just sitting in the narrow spot between FL 53 and Pig Island. I thought for a minute that they were trying to stop or slow traffic, but my guess is they were just out having fun on a beautiful day.

I'm trying hard to give people the benefit of the doubt in situations like this. It's easier to believe that people are unaware that they are impeding me then to believe they are being malicious. I always have to work around someone in Smith Cove or Glendale, it's a crossroads.

If a coordianated effort to disrupt traffic was uncovered, that would be messy. The rules of the road do not allow boats to intentionally impede another vessel. This may be the lesson that Broadhopper's sailor learned.

NH RSA 270-D:2
IX. Canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers shall be given the right-of-way. This requirement shall not be construed to allow deliberate impediment of motorboats by canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers.