View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Before jumping in to that conversion, make sure the computer has the hardware horsepower (memory, disk space, CPU) to handle Windows 10. Hardware also has a shelf life. Some old components just may not provide complete modern functionality even if the software is new. You might cram Windows 10 onto your old platform and have expensive or unfixable hardware issues down the road. Windows 10 will actually check capabilities on your old system and, I believe, will not install on a substandard system. However, it could still install and not work quite right on some hardware.
I agree with Jeff. However I updated old systems from 7 to 10 and notice an improvement in performance. But not always the case.
Old systems with XP and earlier are not a good candidate. Although I did upgrade a couple with good results. (High end systems).
Always make sure you have the latest drivers from the device manufacturers before the upgrade. Saves a lot of headache. Upgrading the drivers from the computer suppliers are based on the current os and not the devices.

Some third party software may not transfer properly. I practice jotting down all the software installed, delete them before the update and reinstall. This provide a lot cleaner install.

Windows 10 defender is right up there in quality with paid antivirus software, I see no need to download another one.

Same as the disk cleaner. The built in cleaner does a pretty good job.

The only utility software you may need is a registry cleaner. I choose Wise Registry Cleaner.

Yes, computers are a lot cheaper these days. Normally computer manufacturers will auction off overstock on their websites, eBay and Amazon. You have to search often. My present laptop is a Dell XPS with 15" display I picked up at an auction for $300. Normally goes for a grand!

There are GUI interface software out there to make W10 feel like W7. But never tried them.