Thread: Local service
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #23
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If that barber or that car wash was serving martini's at $15 a pop I would be sitting there all night.
When you go to eat in the North End most of the restaurants are small and they need to turn the tables over. So most of them don't serve desert or after dinner drinks. This encourages people to get up and walk around to the other establishments like Mikes Pastry and other cafes.
They don't give you attitude through out the meal so you will leave ASAP!
As someone who dines in the North End on a weekly basis, I disagree that most don't serve dessert* or after dinner drinks. Almost always get an espresso martini or a port or two after dinner. Yeah, they certainly like to turn tables over, but not in a pushy manner.

What you're also failing to account for is that servers make a very very low wage. I don't know what it is now but last I heard it was about $2-3/hr. So, while you were enjoying your 3 hour meal with expensive martinis you likely made the server wait on you for under $10 before taxes. I don't care how many other tables the server had, that's just straight disrespectful and greedy regardless if you received sub par service or not.

Tip amount is always a matter of personal opinion. To me, you have to do something significantly wrong to earn under 20%. I'm not saying under 20% isn't justified, but I can't recall a situation where I flat out didn't tip...even on the most nominal of checks. Seems like putting the cash on the table instead of with the check was the triggering mechanism. But justifying no tip based on a servers reaction that DEPENDS on tips after waiting on you for hours...my opinion is pure disrespect.