View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #37
trfour

Post Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
You are correct about a lot of what you say I see it in Maine also.
But according to the weather stations many of NE including NH and ME are above normal for snowfall this year. The problem was after a storm the groomers wait to long to get out and the trails in this area get trashed before they even have a chance. Not sure about other areas but in Belmont that is what I've observed. Also I've seen trucks driving on the snowmobile trails in Belmont this year.
This is why I'm glad they made everyone register in Maine. I hope it stays that way for good. I've noticed a drop in the yahoo's in the last 2-3 years.
Although as NH gets more and more crowded I suppose Maine will eventually become more and more like NH has become. When that happens I expect to see a speed limit imposed.
Fortunately for us we ride off trail. In Maine there are thousands of miles of roads open to riding. With our long track sleds we can do an easy 200 miles of riding in 4-5 foot snow where no one else has ventured.
First of all, thank you, BR.

It takes many snowstorms, ( in succession ) to build up a solid base to groom, in the first place... And also, it was very cold here for most of the early ( spread out storms ). Powdered snow is blown away very quickly by novice riders, thus not leaving much left for grooming.

I must tell you that after totaly rebuilding the first sled that I puchased, ( a 1981 Intruder, for $300.00 ), I was guilty of wanting to do the same thing and went out riding in the first snowstorm of that season with some friends, but did not enjoy seeing the sparks flying off of the skegs of my skis, and the very Ill handling of the sled. I learned that if there is not a good base of snow, if you try to steer around a tree, or any other inmovable object, guess what, You could buy the farm! I was so very fortunate in those early days, having some stock car and drag racing experience, that if it ain't handling, get off the track and give them some room to make it better.
Too many people are killed every year by riding in minimal snow conditions. Check out the trail conditions for the area that you want to ride ahead of time, from the beginning of the season, to end. ( If the trails are open ), they have been groomed.
For New Hampshire, http://www.nhsa.com/ and click on trail conditions.

Air temps are getting warmer, Lake water temps, as well, sorry but it is getting high time to park them snowmobiles, for this year!

I hear you about Maine... Have enjoyed the same there, as well. I have a pin and a gold card.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-25-2005 at 06:35 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote