View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #12
ApS

Question The Solution not asked for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
"We...have spent the past two years working very hard and making many improvements. This last summer we literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on landscaping...to make a dramatic improvement to the looks and accessibility of the cottage. This involved terracing, many stone walls, and three sets of landscape timber stairways -- well over 40 stairs in all. We spent last summer on the island in a constant state of construction.

"...snowmobilers are driving through our property on their way to and from the lake and...have dislodged stones in our stone walls and chewed up our landscape timber stairs. The fact that snowmobilers would drive all over private property, run their machines up and down landscaping stairs, and knock over terraced stone walls shows an incredible disregard for their sport.

"...Sorry if this seems like venting. I don't expect anyone to offer up a solution."
Boy, I don't like coming to the possible defense of snowmobilers -- or any other motorized boors -- but consider my take on this:

I recall a recent acre-sized lot clearing on "The Broads" side of Rattlesnake Island this past July -- maybe August. I noted that there were no trees left on a very steep lot.

To a newbie snowmobiler -- and with your improvements hidden by our most recent deep snowfalls -- the now-invisible opening might appear as a giant sloped ramp, allowing easy access to the interior of Rattlesnake Island from Winnipesaukee's ice.

When the cottage is built there -- if that is, in fact, your lot -- I'd add a tight row of fast-growing hemlocks, and maybe keep them trimmed to about eight feet to preserve your view, soil, and maybe your landscaping.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote