Thread: Water driveways
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #77
partsman

Default You guys crack me up.

While just a newbie to this forum, I have been on this lake for 60 years and in the marine business for 40 years and have seen all the scenarios you all describe.

Woodsy says it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The problem lies in what a waterfront property owner might think is reasonable vs. what an anchored boater might think is reasonable. The laws are on the side of the boater.

Unfortunately, those who own waterfront property abut what is essentially a state park. While its very desireable to abut such a beautiful park, it has its downfalls. Its not your "cove" or your "backyard" You have to put up with Joe Public. Joe Public can be annoyingly noisy guy. You knew that going in! If I were the sailboater mentioned in Post #5 I would have politely told the MP to leave me alone...

What I find humorous is the perception that being anchored off the shoreline is somehow inconsiderate?? I dont quite get that. The property line ends at the high water mark... PERIOD! If someone anchors thier boat off your property and proceed to enjoy themselves... lunch, swim, music, etc. Its no different than a group of people playing frisbee in a park. While Joe Public has a RIGHT to enjoy the lake/park as they see fit, the waterfront property owner/park abutter does not have ANY RIGHTS (other than the Littoral rights mentioned above) past thier property line which for the lake is the high water mark!

It is precisely the NIMBY attitude of some waterfront property owners that has resulted in the many no rafting zones... the more no rafting zones we have, the more people have to spread out into other areas of the lake.

I am a considerate boater... I have never anchored in front of someones property and certainly have never caused an annoyance. However I have a serious problem when a property onwer THINKS that he/she has RIGHTS that somehow trump mine.... that is certainly not the case or the law here in NH!

Woodsy
To all shorefront land owners, we locals have as much right to the waterways in NH as you do. Some of us choose to not purchase shorefront property because we don't need to own it when we can just boat from our rented docks or launch ramps; others of us can not afford to. The reality is, it is as much our lake as yours. Get over it. If the law is being broken you should absolutely contact the proper authorities. If someone is just enjoying their right to our great lake, leave them alone.
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote