Thread: Dock Squatters
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Skip

Thumbs up Always friendlier being friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
...One important thing you need to keep in mind... "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." I'm under the impression that most dock installation in NH requires permits from the Department of Environmental Security. I used to have a link to the appropriate regulations but cant find it (be nice if they were repealed). If you get the legal system involved you may find yourself under scrutiny...
If you go to this site at the Department of Environmental Services it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about docks, beaches, breakwaters and many other types of waterfront structures and the requirements invoked by the State of New Hampshire.

We covered the legal aspects of illegally moored boats in the links appropriatelty supplied by the Skipper, but I think you are approaching the matter correctly by first politely talking to your neighbors and trying to get them to help out voluntarily.

You may want to also ask your neighbors (who rent) to include a notice in their rental agreements that your docks are private property.

Then hopefully, and only on occasion, you may have to verbally remind a transient that the dock is private.

If that doesn't work please feel free to contact me off line, I'd be glad to point out some additional reasonable legal alternatives and, if necessary, how to involve the local authorities without appearing to be a pain in the butt...

Good luck,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote