View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #597
elchase

As I've pointed out before, because my posts do not support the notion that boats should be able to go as fast on our lake as the particular pilot wants, it tends to create heated reaction from the "fast eight", lead to arguing, and I am therefore limited to 5 posts per day. I am quickly draining today's allotment and wanted to save at least one post for tonight, to respond to today's intervening nonsense. So this will need to be my last until then. You opposers who are allowed to post as many inflammatory and ridiculous posts as you desire will have to carry on without me and wait for my replies until then. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
Clue: not all accidents, injuries or fatalities are the result of collisions
Clue: Not all deaths are the result of murders. Not all murderers respect our laws against murder. Our laws against murder do not stop people from committing all crimes. Should we rescind our murder laws too? We have said over and over that nobody believes the speed limit will stop all illegal behavior and prevent all accidents on the lake. But it is a sensible and necessary part of a comprehensive set of laws that together will, AND ALREADY HAVE, make boating safer and more enjoyable for most on the lake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
FYI, I rounded both. Great attempt on spin.
You conveniently rounded 1.45 to 1.50 in your favor and I'm the one spinning?
Quote:
Sorry these numbers don't support your cause.
But they do support my cause. Even more so. Sorry you still can understand the math. 45MPH allows you approximately 0.8 seconds of extra time to react and avoid the little boy's head. 70MPH is too fast and the kid is dead before you can react. Great attempt on reverse-spin.
Quote:
If you cannot spot a kayak at 1000ft, you should probably schedule an eye exam
You guys are the ones saying over and over and over again that you can't see kayaks until you are right up on them. You guys are the one's saying they should have flags or be restricted to coves or other lakes. I have no problem seeing and avoiding kayaks, canoes, and kids at my speeds. If you cannot spot a kayak at 1000ft, you should probably SLOW DOWN.
Quote:
if a child has decided to swim past the marked swim lines ...and suddenly 'pops' his head up to take a breath ... is just plain stupidity that cannot be stopped by any MP or feel good legislation.
Agreed, kids sometimes do stupid things. So rather than just SLOW DOWN, we should run them over to punish them? I have no problem seeing and avoiding even stupid kids, even on the Broads or on any other part of the lake, at the speeds I boat on the lake. I do not depend on the intelligence of kids to avoid killing them. I go fast enough to enjoy the lake, but slow enough to do so safely, no matter what the kayaks and kids are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The transportation committee ask for the findings to validate supporters and opponents claims.
You can keep saying this, but that will not make it true. The only big change to the Trans Comm has been Jim Ryan, the chairman. The others recall what happened and what they wanted and did not want. Jim Ryan spoke openly to the press about the offense he took to the MP's obvious attempt to "derail the legislative process with this obvious eleventh hour tactic" (his words). The MP rep that was sent to the Transportation hearing was soundly scolded by the committee for trying to undermine their authority. Keep saying they were the ones who asked the MP to do that tainted and silly "survey", but the truth is the truth is the truth.
Quote:
There will always be flaws in a study. That is why there is a margin of error.
Margin of error? Margin of error?!! This "survey" had a margin of error of 1000%. It was a bunch of marked police boats sitting in plain site with radar guns that boaters could see from a mile away. It was boats slowing down long before they could be measured. It was announced aforehand in every local newspaper. High speeders were warning each other where and when the "traps" were on the cowboy forums and asking each other to slow down to skew the results. It was conducted by an agency that had already made public their opposition to the legislation. Margin of error?
Quote:
Pork barrel at its best!
Do you know what Pork Barrel is?
Quote:
Great observation. Off Topic?
Attempts to legitimize the "survey" are on topic, but anything that points out one of its many flaws is "Off Topic"? And I'm the one being moderated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I am sorry if this unintentionally offends, but did you happen to get the part about the article you posted that the accident occurred in a RACE. You know, an actual RACE where RACERS RACE their fast boats.
There used to be races almost every weekend on our lake before the Speed Limit discouraged them. Numerous Poker Races with boats operating just like in this race were held on the lake each summer (see Forum Archive "A horde invades quiet waters" Posted By: 3gW Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 9:24 p.m.), and first thing Saturday and Sunday mornings you'd see and hear the bass boats all racing each other from the tourney starting points to the best fishing spots across the lake. In the afternoons, you'd see all the performance boaters, many looking and sounding just like these "race boats", racing each other from Braun Bay across the lake to get the best docks at the Naswa for an afternoon of boozing before getting back behind the helm. (oh ya, drinking authorizes them to go fast ) Sorry if the tone of this response unintentionally offends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
There were different versions of the situation and I just related my OPINION and what I heard.
Skipper, you can try to disown your own post and re-spin it now, but it says what it says and is pretty clear. People can read it for themselves and draw their own conclusions. There was a poker race going on. It was a RACE by any definition. It was mayhem on the lake on a crowded summer weekend afternoon. The patrol boats were in chase. They gave up because they were just adding to the danger and their boats can only do 50MPH. To avoid letting you hear them agree to just back off and let the boys have their fun, they switched over to telephone (as you say). It was a very dangerous situation on the lake. We had nothing even remotely like this happen last summer, even during all the sunny days we had in late July and through August. I thank the speed limit and all the related efforts of Winnfabs for that. You can say what you want now, 8 years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
blah, blah, blah
Airwaves. Please put me on ignore. Your "Illegal Fishing" debacle was your Waterloo. It exposed you. Everyone thinks of that as soon as they see your screen name. I'm guessing from many of your past posts that you are 14, maybe 15 years old and that your mother is at work and does not know you have figured out how to bypass the parental internet controls she set. I did not take any fish illegally that day and never have. Now please leave me alone and go hang around with kids your own age.