View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #564
sunset on the dock

I'm surely setting myself up for a thrashing here but....what's going on? There's a lot of indignancy and venom being directed to El when he posts his opinions. He cites the limitations of the 150' rule and he's accused of ridiculing the boating laws of NH and the MP. He's criticized for calling people idiots when they put their own lives in jeopardy as well as those who rescue them yet we see on this forum the same name calling all the time when someone is perceived to be taking risks in a kayak or canoe. I think everyone understands that risk takers who pay the ultimate price have families who love them and that we all make mistakes, etc., etc. but we seem to have a self rightious double standard here for posting one's opinions.
Secondly, a reminder that the SL law is about other things in addition to safety. As you know many are concerned for people's right's to a peaceful and meaningful destination for recreation. When the SL was proposed my family thought, finally, now a chance to hold the line on the cowboy mentality which so many people comment on and that we read about so often when the lake is mentioned in the press. Last summer we saw many of the so called GFBL's on the lake, despite all the talk on the forum about bad weather and economy. Yet completely gone, for example, were the "idiots" who scream through the channel at god knows what speed at 11 at night, waking up the kids, totally disturbing the peace. For this I am totally grateful for our new law.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post: