View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #515
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Democratic Process

Seems like everyone has an agenda or two about boat owners on the lake. Boneheads, big cruisers, noise, speed, restrictive laws, erosion of shore front, erosion of rights, etc. etc. etc.

And the speed limit law at one time was a 'catch all' or 'just a start' hench, 'feel good'? The begining of a never ending bunch of 'feel good' laws?

The one thing that we are all concerned about is safety! And the worst offender of safe boating are the boneheads! Why not tackle that and nick the problem in the bud! Education and Enforcement are the foundation of boating safety.

By now, everyone should have taken the NH boater's course. One of the reason why the lake is safe despite the increase number of boaters. The biggest 'loophole' are the renters, who can rent without taking the course. A questionaire does not take the place of a course. Most insurance companies give a discount to those who have taken the USCG or Power Squadron course. I would highly reccomend that this should be mandatory requirement for driving a boat in NH. Save money too!

Enforcement? Well I'm sure everyone will agree that the NHMP does a heck of a job with what little manpower they have. A couple of years ago, Lt. Dunleavy mention at any one day, at the most, he would have 90 full time MP working. That number protect a 1,000 bodies of water and 10,000 miles of rivers and stream. A monumental task to be had. I hate to be the guy who has to assign which body of water and river or stream will be patrolled in any given day. And find out there is a fatal on unprotected water!

With the budget contstraint and economy today, I'm sure the marine patrol is working 'overtime and with more stress' than in the past. Just because we pay our boat registration does not mean the money goes to the marine patrol. All monies collected in the state goes into a general fund and the legislature determine who gets what. Marine Patrol has a low priority in this state.

What can we do?? Other than being 'good doobies' and stay out of trouble, we should be able to reccomend safe reasonable laws that won't tax the marine patrol. Give them laws 'with teeth' that will stand up in court. Not sure if putting up a 'Neighborhood watch' on the lake is doable, but we shouldn't have to take that approach.

Any lawyer will tell you that an arbitrary speed limit like the 45/25 is debatable in court. It can be argue that the excessive speed is reasonable and prudent. That term is vague and can be interpreted in many ways. That is why I am all for adding the USCG rules to replace the 45/25 clause. To give the marine patrol teeth and make it stand up in court. This will effect all boaters, not the 2% GFBL crowd. I'm all for the rest of the bill, the heavy fine, and putting the offense on your driver's record.

How about it folks? Can't we just knock heads and come up with a great compromise and help each other out and reel in the boneheads and cowboys? That is what democracy is about. We can do it!