View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #508
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I havn't thought about it long enough to know what I believe, the part about winnfabs wanting to get rid of big cruisers that is, but I find it extremely hard to believe that the level of public outrage against the cruisers would be feasable to get such a measure passed. You probably know my big issue with the GFBL's has been noise, more so possibly than speed. I think this is one area where the public has indeed been outraged, IMHO. Typically when a big cruiser cruises past where I live, people come out on the dock and say things like "I wonder how many bedrooms it has?" or "I bet it's got a nicer kitchen than the one in our home." Then the kids all jump in the water and ride the big waves with their long wavelength. Any thoughts about erosion are fleeting or non existant. Compare this to when a noisy GFBL goes by...this would be the gist of the conversation: "Those @#$%& noisy boats ruin any semblance of tranquility left on the lake. ", "What did you say, I can't hear a @#$%&* word you're saying?"
I probably will not attend the January meeting with you guys for a number of reasons (see future post...dinner guests are due here soon and my wife wants me to get off the computer and help). I received a very magnanimous and classy PM /invitation from one the SL opponents( I'm being serious, not my sometimes sarcastic self) regarding that meeting and other things. One reason why I would not attend is that I feel passionate enough about the topic before a couple of beers that I would probably not do the cause any good by discussing it after refreshments. I would more likely get together some time in the future for a couple of beers when the SL discussion is forbidden...get to know people's other passions and things we might all have in common(and to perhaps prove that SL supporters don't have horns, a spiked tail, and a spiked pitchfork...I'll take my hat off to prove the part about the horns, you'll have to take my word for it on the spiked tail). Gotta go, duty calls.
You know I thought the same thing as you, about the whole all of us getting together and having a few beers and the conversation getting all heated. Then I thought differently about it. I really think we are like minded people, most of us, and I wish you'd reconsider. Most of the guys I know on here are family guys with young children, like myself. We are the last people in the world you'd ever have to worry about getting into any altercation with, no matter what the subject matter. I look at this discussion like I would politics and religion. I have been in many heated debates with friends and I can tell you that I am passionate but not to the point that I would make it personal. I think we could have some laughs. I respect your position on not wanting to come but I really wish you would reconsider.

As for your point about Cruisers and the wakes and GFBL noisy boats I was laughing out loud when I read it, and not in the mocking sense at all. I was laughing because it struck me as so funny how differently we see things. It's all good though because it's what makes the world go around. It would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things. I was also laughing because the scenario you described is the exact (180 degrees in fact) opposite of what happens at my house, to a point. While I agree with you that I do not like super loud boats I do actually enjoy the ones that have through hull that aren't "straight pipes." Anyway, when the cruisers come by I stand on my dock and throw my arms up in disgust because 10 seconds later my boats are thrashing around at the dock slamming all around and the water splashes up on to the patio and knocks stuff over causing havoc. My (6 year old) twin boys will stand there with me and say "Daddy that boat is ridiclious" (spelling error intentional) they made up their own word.
So you can see why I was laughing. We have such different perspectives on these things. I have absolutely ZERO patience for the big cruisers. Their wakes destroy everything in their paths. I am just waiting for the day a dock post snaps at my house because of the 7 foot swells left behind.

This next part is not directed at you Sunset:

The cruiser issue is one of those things that I just don't get. But going back to an earlier post I made, to each their own. Just because I don't understand why people have these things on a lake and just because these boats sometimes offend me (the whole huge waves wrecking my boats and dock) doesn't mean I am going to go on a crusade against them, as some have done here. I actually tolerate them because I know someone else is getting some enjoyment from it. Even though they cause me problems, I can actually put aside my feelings for someone other than me. It is not easy trust me. Sometimes I want to get in my boat and chase them down and scream bloody murder at them.

As I said about the GFBL boats earlier the Cruisers are part of the personality of the lake. People who visit love to look at them and are in awe of them just like the GFBL's. Some people have forgotten why they came to this lake.