View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I don't know him well enough to give specific examples. From his post, he potentially could have handled it better by being more educated about the basics of his boat, and seemingly doing a sea trial, which may have uncovered the basic issue before the purchase.

Yes, in an ideal world, all "professionals" are experts in their field and held to the highest standards. In the real world, I think we have all likely experienced situations where a "professional" did not deliver on the expectations.

Boats break down, usually in expensive ways. Even when they don't break down, they tend to be costly to maintain, and those costs will often go up as the boat ages. You have two basic options here, learn/understand enough of the boat to do the work yourself, or to be able to select and work with a competent mechanic, OR rely on someone else to do the work and hope you are not getting overcharged along the way.

Again, nothing about this story of "I bought an old bought and then a marina overcharged me for repairs" really seems that out of the ordinary for someone who does not appear to be well versed in boat engines. Not enough info here to say if the mechanic was totally unqualified to work on the boat, or if he was going more off a method of "I've seen something like this a couple of times before and it was X".
Ok - next time I go to a doctor, I'll make sure I'm more educated on the way they should be diagnosing me so I can tell them when they're wrong.

We're getting aside from the point. This guy is frustrated and he came here to vent. Re-read his last sentence and he feels bad about not going back when he said he would. I don't blame him for not going back and applaud him for figuring it out on his own. You, on the other hand, completely dismiss it and said nothing you did was amazing and that you should learn your boat and all it's problems. I love boating, think I have time to learn every mechanical aspect of my boat? Nope...so I rely on others. My whole point here is just be a better person rather than put the guy down. Agree or disagree, that's your opinion but next time you do something impressive that you didn't know you can do and then seek some advice I really hope someone doesn't ***** all over you for it and call it not amazing.