View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
Skip

Post Why the permits anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have a feeling if everyone called them every time they have a fire, they would go crazy with calls. I don't think most people do. Maybe I am wrong.
Hi Tis....

In many communities it is up to the issuing department or ranger to determine the call in procedures. Many issue a seasonal permit that only requires a call in if you are burning brush.

And while State law has been modified in recent years, communities always had the option, through their warden, to be more restrictive.

But why have this permitting process...can't we just use "common sense"?

Actually, there is a very good reason to keep track of fires. A substantial portion of this State is still forrest, much more woodlands than a century ago. And while we have been scaling back on fire towers, there are still a series of manned towers and aerial flights that cover the State, including the Lakes region. Any of the scanner buffs out there will know that all season long the towers are checking "smokes" with local authorities to eliminate costly & time consuming false alarms. And yes, not only do these towers detect remote forest fires, but every year they are the first to notice grass and brush fires well within developed cities & towns, and actually have detected a great number of structure fires well before anyone else!

So there is a very solid and responsible reason why these permits are required...and it has nothing to do with "big government"....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote