View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #37
Dave M

Default Same problem

I had the same problem. Water got behind the T-111 and rotted part of my sill near my screened porch part of my camp. My camp is on stilts on cement tubes and the sill is two 2x10 together. Lucky for me an 8' section was only rotted and only on one the the 2x10 and it happen near the joint of one of the 2x10. Had to pull my small deck off and remove two section of T-111 below the screened section. I just made a cut on the first 2x10 at a good section, removed nails with cats paw and replaced. Used 3" screws to tie the two 2x10 together. I used two 6-ton hydraulic "jacks" to hold the existing sill in place. Had to replace the center post due to being rotted as well. Line leveled the whole front of the camp and replaced all posts with PT. My non-PT posts were all starting to show wear. There was no flashing used for camp/deck. I'm using "L" flashing that goes behind the T-111 and it is bent to sit on the deck board (2 by ?)thats attached to the T-111. This piece also goes down the outside of that 2 by ? a bit. Don't expect water to get behind this. I'm still working on this and has turned into more of project but while I had everything apart I decided to do everything. My other PT posts shows no wear at all. Maybe because they are not "sitting" in water.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote