View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #154
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The accidents you cite had nothing to do with speed. The "feel good" speed law would not have prevented either accident.

"People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth."

That was never the case. I have been on the lake some part, or all, of every summer since 1970. Were there a few speed boats passing by now and again? Sure. Were there a significant number of speed related accidents? NO Two speed related incidents in 9 years is actually proof that speed is not, and has never been, a problem.

It is a feel good law for people who would like to see Winnipesaukee become Squam lake.

Almost every jet ski on the lake can exceed 45 MPH. Many can go over 60. Should we throw them off the lake too?

People should be a lot more concerned about the shoreline damage and noise cause by the wake boats. They are a bigger, growing, problem than a few speed boats ever were.
Nor did I say, intimate, suggest, or otherwise allude that it was speed. If you read my post carefully, I make the point that many would disagree with Rep. Bordes' contention that the owners of $250-$350K boats are some of the most safe and responsible boaters. The Littlefield and Blizzard accidents (both alcohol related), and an anti speed limit advocate boasting of excess alcohol consumption do not scream "safe and responsible behavior".

As far as PWC's that can go 60 MPH...fine, they can also go 45 MPH too.

But as said in my earlier post, points 1-4, the public (and the legislature) support our commonsense 45/30 speed limit.

I too have been on the lake since the 1970's. And the positive change in the last 10 years with our 45/30 speed limit has been immense.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote