View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
In the 80's the Marine Patrol would station a boat in the Weirs Channel near the southern end of the no wake zone. They had a second boat with a decibel meter set up about 1/2 mile south in Paugus Bay. That boat would set out a couple of floats about 30 feet apart.

When the Marine Patrol Officer in the Channel found a boat that he felt might be too loud he directed them to go through the markers at cruising speed while their sound output was measured.

I had a friend who tried to quiet his boat down to the point that after adding baffles he hung truck mud flap off of the swim platform down to the water. The boat was still too loud and he had to take it off of the lake.

To their credit, the Marine Patrol allowed him several "free passes" after he did all the work on it to see if it was quiet enough.
We were "invited" to take our boat to Timber Island to be tested on a Sunday morning. Once we were stopped the boat could not be on the lake until we passed the test. In the meantime we had work done on it to try to make it quieter so we could pass the test. We flunked. After a few tries and about 6 or 7 thousand dollars we finally passed -but just barely. At that time I don't think the marinas really knew what to do to quiet them. I loved that boat, it was one of my favorite ever boats. And also at that time "Captain's Call" ( the ability to switch between loud and quiet) was illegal. Now I am pretty sure it is legal.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote