View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #56
ApS

Thumbs up "Element"--Good Choice--Congrats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Do yourself a favor and take this advice seriously. The rear diff fluid in that thing needs to be replaced every 20K and the fluid that goes in it is special stuff you need to get from Honda. It is also expensive. There is no cheapo knock off you can get at WalMart either. If you just drive it and ignore it expect that rear end to fail quickly and catastrophically.

I had a friend of mine that had one of those and did not know this. Being a cheap person he did not heed the instruction to do this. $4000 rear end replacement got his attention at 30K miles from new. This is well documented - and of all the common problems these cars have that is the one to be most aware of.

Good luck with it. If you do the maintenance it will last a long time as 8gv says.
With front wheel drive (FWD), you probably meant "trans-axle" fluid. For some reason, the factory fluids are special, and the dealer price is astonishing.

Back when I was racing cars, it was suggested I use a certain, very expensive, very special, oil in the differential. (Instead of expensive Red Line) oil.

I said "No Thanks" when I learned the source was whale oil!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote