View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #28
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
So far on this thread shorefront owners are being described as selfish millionaires who think they own the lake and arrogant jerks that confront innocent boaters that stray too close to shore. I believe that is far from the truth
My lot was purchased for $1,500 back in the 40's
Over the years a cottage was built and expanded not as a vacation home but as a primary residence before it passed to us from my mom. She was an RN and far from being a millionaire. There are many others on my road that are also year round residents.
We have never confronted or been rude to anyone rafting near our beach in spite of some pretty inconsiderate behavior.
We have blueberry bushes near our beach and people often wade right up to pick them. Never really had issues with trash or loud music except in the winter with bobhouse shims and debris from fires washing up on our beach in the spring.
Every now and then a rafter with young children will allow them to play in the shallow water just a few feet from our shore but we don't mind if we're not using the beach at the time.
We've had bass boaters casting almost at our feet when we're on the dock which I find a little disrespectful of our privacy as well as an occasional boater peeing off the back of the boat as if no one on the shore could see them.
It's akin to living in a residential neighborhood and someone camping out on your lawn or urinating in plain sight of other homes.
Just saying that shore owners would just like a little consideration and respect for privacy.....we don't think we own the lake
As FlyingScot said a few posts back, "reasonable" if the key word.

Having visited Winnipesaukee since 1963, I have found most of the longtime residents and older visitors to be generally more cordial and respectful to each other, and too often newer residents who did in fact pay millions for their property and new to Winnipesauke day boaters to all be a bit less respectful to everyone, but thats a very broad brush and there are no absolutes. This just what is see in my limited travels.

Unfortunately it doesnt take too many outliers to sour the atmosphere for everyone.

A little kindness, a little respect, a little consideration, a little understanding, and a little forgiveness goes an awful long way. But when anyone is being clearly and intentionally disrespectful and inconsiderate then they deserve to be called out on it and get an earful. Even then there are ways to engage more successfully than hitting someone in the head with a bat (just kidding,,,) and unfortunately there will always be abusers who cannot be reasoned with,,,

Sorry, lots of words, and not much of use, just personal observations, thoughts and beliefs.

And though I have never been a land owner on the lake, I have thoroughly enjoyed it just as much as if I lived there, and I try to treat it and everyone I meet there as if it were my home.

Your experiences and opinions may differ,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote