View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
ApS

Default "The NH Way" and Sticks and Drums...

As a practical matter, merging early will allow you to merge again to the far-right lane. Unless traffic is stopped, oftentimes you can merge ahead of an 18-wheeler. This opens up a space for the "cones-crowder" into the middle lane. Once past the bottleneck, you can return to your favorite lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
"...Guys this isnt new stuff , My drivers ed teacher taught us this 37 years ago, If you take both lanes right down to the last cone ,then MERGE EVERY OTHER CAR..."
Hasn't cellphone use changed all that?

When we visitors cross into NH, what does the rest of the sign say after "Welcome to New Hampshire?"

RPM, have you considered what would happen if everybody adopted "three lanes are open until the very end"? (It already happens with regularity around cities with third-world drivers).

Thirty-seven years ago, most cars had marginal "drum" brakes and standard "stick-shift" transmissions. Drum brakes were inadequate for the practice of "tailgating", and standard shift cars left more room between cars. (And, I read yesterday, that we have been polled as a ruder society).

A friend repeats the theory that automatic-transmission drivers fail to maintain a proper following distance and creep up on the car ahead when traffic slows. (Causing "The Caterpillar Effect").

Quote:
"...>If the the speed limit on rt.104 is posted 55 why go 35...?"
Driving conditions?

Quote:
"...>and using common scents while driving..."
I've long maintained that we should develop—and trust—our scentses.

Last edited by ApS; 09-27-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added first paragraph, remove "boating" signature
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote