View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #42
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
So he's prejudiced against democrats and black people....no, he's not racist. So how does he feel about black democrats? Give me a break, this man does not deserve to hold any public office.
Whoa there... That is NOT what Rusty said. His post states "...Copeland hates Democrats and not black people in general." [Emphasis added]

This is exactly how angry mobs of townspeople with pitchforks get started. I don't recall anything about "prejudiced against democrats" nor "black democrats". We DO know how he feels about one black democrat in particular. His incredibly stupid and ignorant remark aside, we do not know that Copeland is really a racist in the TRUE sense of the word.

And since the thread keeps oscillating about the central point in an ever-widening arc, perhaps some clarification is in order:

There are exactly three "races": Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid. If you are a "racist", you make decisions based upon a person's racial identity. Thus, voting FOR Obama because of his Negroid ancestry is just as racist as voting AGAINST him for the same reason. You can, however, despise --or love-- him for ANY other reason and NOT be a racist.

This means that you can hate all Democrats/Republicans without being racist, since political affiliation is not a "race". You can dislike Mexicans or Canadians and not be racist because this involves nationality. Same goes for religious persuasion. I'm not suggesting that generalizations are a good thing; Most prejudices are ill-advised. [Except, perhaps, not liking bagpipes.]

If we can just tone down the rhetoric a bit, take a deep breath, and carefully consider what we ourselves think and say, perhaps Bill O'Reilly will quit mentioning Wolfeboro. As for me, I'm going over to the Restaurant forum and look longingly at upthesaukee's picture of Pop's onion rings.