View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #56
Woodsy

Ummmm.....

As resident of the Weirs I have to disagree with some of what is being said.

There is ALOT of pride in Weirs, and most people do wish it was better. But until the PROPERTY OWNERS in the Weirs change and embrace a new economic model... nothing else will change.

The whole economic dynamic of the Weirs has changed.

1. There are fewer places to rent from, this leads to less of a turnover of people at the "attractions"

2. The motels have mostly been turned into condos. Those people are up every weekend, but spend way less on the "attractions" per year.

3. There are fewer "attractions"... You have the Drive-In (night only) and the arcades. The 2 biggest kid attractions (waterslides) are now gone. Not saying there isn't stuff to do.... just that's its less and less.

4. Like it or not, the days of the Weirs being a super kid friendly destination are done. Kids today would rather stay inside and play video games linked up with their friends instead of going to drop quarters in an arcade.

5. Some of the property owners in the Weirs take pride in their buildings. Others unfortunately do not.

6. Bike Week has been treated like a neglected cash cow by the city and state for years. The milk is starting to dry up....

7. The amount of Police officers in the Weirs during Bike Week is DRACONIAN! It has become the Police Overtime Fund. It kills the mood... DEAD!

I could go on and on..

The Weirs needs a comprehensive balanced economic plan. My vote would be for an atmosphere similar to Key West....

Woodsy