View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #36
winni83

I understand the frustration of tax payers who are not registered voters. I was one of those in Moultonborough for 33 years until becoming a voting resident a few years ago. However, I believe that in order to accomplish what you propose, a change in state law would be necessary. It does not seem to be an issue that can be changed by a municipality. See below:

NH RSA 654:1 Voters; Office Holder. I. Every inhabitant of the state, having a single established domicile for voting
purposes, being a citizen of the United States, of the age provided for in Article 11 of Part First of the Constitution of New Hampshire, shall have a right at any meeting or election, to vote in the town, ward, or unincorporated place in which he or she is domiciled. An inhabitant's domicile for voting purposes is that one place where a person, more than any other place, has established a physical presence and manifests an intent to maintain a single continuous presence for domestic, social, and civil purposes relevant to participating in democratic self-government. A person has the right to change domicile at any time, however a mere intention to change domicile in the future does not, of itself, terminate an established domicile
before the person actually moves.