View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #87
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
I would accept that compromise, but I think it is a problem to say go run as fast as you want in the broads. As someone has previously mentioned in one of the only things I agreed with...the broads are great for sailing and fishing so to say guys are going to run 70mph there probably wont work, unless there is a 500 or even a 1000' foot rule there.

I would even agree to a 1000' rule, even though I think it is way excessive..that is almost a 1/4 mile. I still would like someone to answer my question as what harm I am causing over 500' away going say 60 vs 45?

I have not been on here that long and wow this is a tough issue when you consider both sides of it.

There are always going to be boaters that do not use good common sense and my plea is that those few should not impact the majority of us who try and do the right thing and are considerate of our fellow captains and their passengers.
Personally I think double the distance (300 feet) would be sufficient but I think that number would not appeal to the SL supporters. When we get into arbitrary numbers like 500, 1000, what we need to do is come up with distances that people have a chance at figuring out. For example 100 yards is pretty easy to identify with a lot of people as it is a length of a football field. The real problem with distances is that it is all subjective. As we all know most people have no clue what 150 feet looks like! The "Speed Zone" idea has problems as was pointed out by some because it does not address those who feel uncomfortable with a boat doing 60 + at 150 feet away from their Sailboat, Kayak, whatever. I still think the increased distance idea has merit but clarification would be necessary in terms of an easily identifiable length.