View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #82
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I think the 30 or 35 mph at night idea is fine. The 500 foot daytime limit is to low in my opinion, I would think 1,000ft or 1/4 mile is a better idea. However if people can't figure out what 150ft is how can the figure out even larger distances. It has alway seemed to me a better idea to just specify one or more places where unlimited speed is allowed. That way the MP will have a better chance of enforcement.

I predict the opposition is going to talk all these ideas to death and not present the legislature with a unified alternative to 45/25. Then you will lose. I hope they get their act together and come up with a viable alternative, but I don't see it happening.

And the extreme ideas like no daytime limit or Rule 6 are NEVER GOING TO FLY. They didn't work in the last debate and they will not work now. They don't meet my definition of a compromise.
In theory the specifying certain areas is a good one but how do you let the public know? Perhaps marking the chart, but we all know some people wouldn't get the message. Floating signs in the water. . I think you could come up with a distance in feet to work because it would accomplish what you are suggesting BI. A lot of the areas of the lake would be covered by say a 1000 feet or more distance rule due to the nature of the lake being made up of many small bays and channels. Perhaps make it simple by translating it to yards like "one or even two football fields / 200 yards."

Again though you make a very valid point that supports what many have been saying all along when you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
However if people can't figure out what 150ft is how can the figure out even larger distances.
The key is education and information and figuring out how to get the message out there.

I know we have had many a major difference of opinion in the past on this issue and I thank you for your willingness to even discuss a compromise when you probably have no real reason to. Actually I do remember you were one of the first to be a supporter of a compromise and you could arguably laugh and throw it in the face of the compromise crowd and say "you had your chance and blew it." But you didn't. Thanks.