View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #67
Woodsy

Here is the problems as I see them, and a possible way of dealing with them...

THE NHMP is resource limited.... their area of responsibility is the whole state of NH, not just Lake Winnipesaukee. Unlike most state agencies who are General Fund dependant, the NHMP get thier funding through the General Navigation Fund (Boat Registrations) and federal grants. Due to the slow economy over the last 2 years, boat registrations are markedly down putting a big dent in the NHMP budget. So as with all state agencies, they are asked to do more (enforce a speed limit for example) with less resources. Yet the problems (Capt. Bonehead) still remain! To date the NHMP has not written ANY speeding tickets, thus the tickets have not yet been challenged in court. (Speeding Ticket = Summons to Appear).

So what is the best use of NHMP resources? You have to enforce all of the existing rules...

I propose the ELIMINATION of the daytime speeding restriction with the caveat of USCG Rule 6. We dont have many accidents during the day because of the almost unlimited visibility (measured in MILES) that Lake Winnipesaukee affords. None of the accidents that do occur can be attributed to excessive speed (in this case speeds greater than speed limit of 45 MPH). I do realize that 10MPH can be excessive speed depending on conditions thus the Rule 6 caveat!

If you only have certain speeds in certain bays it tends to quickly become and enforcement nightmare, especially given limited resources.

The elimination of the daytime limit allows the NHMP to better utilize thier limited resources by using more of the junior (temporary summer = less expensive) officers during the daylight hours when the lake is busiest and Capt. Bonehead is out and about in force. More officers on the water "flying the flag" in the busiest areas of the lake will result in much calmer and more civilized boating behavior by EVERYBODY! I see this as a win/win for everybody.

I propose a STATEWIDE nightime limit of 30MPH with the caveat of Rule 6. I think 25 is too low a number and has adversely affected businesses and people. The limit of 30 gives you leeway to 30-35 MPH. Plenty fast for night trips to dinner and fireworks on the far side of the lake, yet slow enough to allow for safety. The NHMP will be able to utilize thier most senior and well trained officers (radar certified). This is the shift where your going to find the drunken boaters and traditionally when the worst (fatal) accidents occur. You want your best guys on a DWI stop so as to avoid any problems that could jeopardize the case in court.

I like the idea of a greater distance rule (Faster MPH = Greater distance from other boats), but enforceability would be a nightmare. People already disagree on how far 150' is. It would open up another can of worms.

Woodsy