View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #59
onlywinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Is this true? Your 5000 pound boat is not safe unless you are going over 25? Is this really an argument you want to use for revoking a speed limit? Am I the only one on this forum who is dumbfounded by the logic that we should abolish our speed limit because some people want to ride around in two and a half ton boats that cannot be operated safely at speeds so "slow" as 25 MPH? Are you really telling us that we should feel safe out on the lake with boats that weigh 5000 pounds and cannot be operated safely at a speed below 25 MPH?
I suppose that headway speed for your boat is then 25 MPH and you should have no problem obeying the safe passage law at that speed. Have you even used that argument with the MP? "Officer, I need to go at least 26 for my boat to be safe out here. If I am only going 20 mph, I can't be responsible if I run over a few kayakers."
Imagine a trucker telling a State Trooper "Officer, this 10 ton rig cannot be driven safely at only 65mph, so I have to go faster. May I proceed?"
Oh my. We have some really twisted logic out there. And these are the same people who want to decide for themselves what speeds are prudent?

This is the last time I am going to say anything about Planing Speed, because it has nothing to do with this debate. I called you out on it, because you said all Performance Boaters drive around with trimmed up and bow up on purpose...so I was trying to explain that some of us have to until we are going in the 25mph range. You were the one that brought out the Boattest.com video trying to call me a liar and it just in fact proved my point.

When did I say that I can not go headway speed...instead of debating an issue that is stupid, why dont you debate the real issue here which is the speed limit. Of course you dont want to debate it, you just want to insult the entire Performance Boat Community and paint us all as Reckless...

Let me ask you a Serious Question. If you are sailing in the broads and I pass you 160' away at your precious 45mph speed limit you are ok with that? Based on those stats I believe I am complying with the law?