View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
NH law prohibits anchoring overnight on any lake. I don't think there are exceptions. I have never done it and have only anchored overnight in states where it is legal. It amazes me that a state where the biggest industry is tourism could be so incredibly unfriendly to tourists in boats.

I mostly boat on Winnipesaukee because it is really convenient to me and quite nice, but I keep my boat on a trailer and often use it outside NH. I spent last week on Champlain where anchoring overnight is normal and expected. Our anchorage on Friday night had at least 30 boats. It was totally peaceful and gorgeous.

Spending the night at a municipal dock is also quite normal outside of NH. Towns love it because it brings lots of revenue directly to the town and indirectly through the businesses in the town. VT has an Island state park (Burton Island) with a really nice marina that is entirely for transient boaters. They charge $1.75 a foot for overnight slips and 3 or 4 bucks for electric hookup (depends on boat size). I cannot fathom why NH does not have anything like this.
I can't imagine why it's not allowed either...do they feel they're missing some lodging revenue or something? It would be very cool to be able to anchor out and enjoy a lovely, summer's night.
I wonder if the issue has ever been petitioned by boaters to change the law.
I would sign it!
I would gladly, pay an anchoring fee if imposed as well...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote