View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #36
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
This is exactly what I am talking about, Jumping to extremes. Looking at Somalia, yeah you have to take into consideration the quality of life and also the quality of people you are dealing with before you jump to an extreme example of all day warfare because of corrupt lawless-ness. I would harbor a guess that people of the United States would not alllow themselves to fall into that type of lifestyle.

Now onto the people choosing, youa re correct in the fact that they choose but most ideas for politicans coem from their constiuates and they decide to ride that wave or not

Again jumping to extremes about people taking matters into thier own hands, does not mean going out there with a gun, knife, or anything else it SIMPLY means feel out the others involved and then react, not just simply go crying because someone spilled your milk, while not going over and shooting someone because they spilled your milk. It means making educated and sometimes calculated decisions on how to handle the situation infront of you instead of having someone else handle it for you

Life can be simple, and I have no problem taking my shoes off at the airport as well, safety - which falls under my common sense theory, is common sense
I believe that Thomas Jefferson had a brilliant thought which I think is noteworthy....

Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.

What I find noteworthy here is that he references "liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others" which is a very important distinction to point out and something that has been lost in today's society. For lack of respect and consideration for our fellow citizens is at face value a violation of the rights of others no matter which side of any argument or action you may fall on. So as a result laws are created to maintain a civilized society and to curb certain behaviors as to preserve the ideal of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all.

No society can be civilized and lawless at the same time, however creating an over abundance of laws does not equate to a civilized utopia either. This is why we must be very careful in how societies problems are addressed when it comes to any kind of legislative action for if it goes to far results in a tyrannical oppressive government. Unfortunately today everyone is all to quick to enact laws re-actively instead of considering the effectiveness of such actions and to what extent it interferes with the overall freedoms of our society as a whole.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: