View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
ITD

Coastal Laker,

Excellent point, I'm sure there are some that will say no harm but why take the risk. Marcucci also makes a great point. Staring at any instrument (or chart or newspaper)for more than a few seconds inside your boat underway while in command is dangerous and foolhardy even in fog or pitch black darkness.
Last summer I was in my sailboat when I noticed an older gentleman barrelling down on me with his head buried in a chart (I think or maybe he was cutting his fingernails). I watched him for what seemed to be a long time as I scrambled to get my canned air horn. Fortunately his better half noticed my 20+ foot sail right in front of her and pointed it out to her lesser half. He made a quick adjustment to my relief and passed with a sheepish look on his face. I keep that horn closer by now.

The point is there is no substitute for looking where you are going no matter what the conditions. GPS and Radar should suppliment your eyes looking beyond the bow for traffic and things you might hit. If you are doing it right, an occasional quick glance at these instruments should be all that is needed.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote