View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
Rich

I have Ooma at home. I wasn't an early adopter, so I pay about $5 per month in southern NH which covers all the taxes. This gives me country wide unlimited free calls.

It's really a good service, and does have 911, but you have to remember to change your address if you move your "box" to a different address.

I connect it to my internal home phone lines by connecting it to a wall jack in my home, so all the hard wired phones in the house work as well as they did when we had "Ma Bell" service! Of course I had to be sure to disconnect my house from the street POTS wired service, but this was easy to do at the network interface on the side of my home. It also works well with cordless phones in the house.

When I have lost power during weeks long periods of time, with my house on generator power, this all still works well! While my neighbors that use Comcast cable for their phone and internet service lost everything. I'm on fiber from Consolidated Communications (they originally were the old Verizon/Ma Bell back in the day), it seems much more reliable than cable for internet/phone as reported by my neighbors.

This fiber internet even remained working when power was off for a few weeks back in 2008! For this reason, I'll never use cable (Comcast or others) for internet until they can survive multi weeks long power outages like the fiber optic system can. They tell you it will survive power outages, but in practice, it only works for a few hours to a day, then it starts to go down.

The only downside to fiber in NH is that they never allowed for TV service over the fiber, even though the system is technically capable of it (see FIOS in Mass. as a comparison). This is mostly a political/contractual issue, but it's becoming less of a problem now that most are cutting the cord from cable TV companies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: