View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #95
ApS

Post Back Then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...I agree with DoTheMath. I, my Dad and my Grandfather lived on the lake since birth..."
1) I'd give you "double-points" if your progenitors were Native-Americans, but even they arrived from "somewhere else".

2) It pains me to hear my elderly Dad speak sometimes:
Quote:
"There should be an airport—in there"
"There should be a golf course—over there."
This state's natural beauty needs to be cut down, built up, and an American flag posted over it?

3) Your New Hampshire Grandfather (and mine) were far less conscious of the importance New Hampshire's natural scenery, forests, lake quality and wildlife has to residents and to tourists.

Neither of our Grandfathers likely objected to the despoiling of New Hampshire scenery—even to the point that an organization had to be formed in our Grandfathers' day. What conditions caused NH citizens to respond to NH's despoiling?

Loggers had burned "slash" from slopes on the White Mountains that blocked visibility on the streets of Boston!

4) Back then, remember, it was not uncommon to shoot Loons—for sport!

Until genetic engineering can breed Loons with fluorescent-orange plumage, well...the "enlightened concerns of Today" means we need to live with sane speeds on the Big Lake.

Speeds we can live with.

IMO