Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
ApS

Lightbulb Heating the Floor, NOT the Ceiling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
No, they aren't any more efficient than any other resistive electric heater. What you do get is increased perceptive and real warmth as the infrared energy warms your skin and clothes. But at the end of the day, it doesn't make the room any warmer than another 800 watt electric heater.
I'll disagree. Radiant heaters project heat at everything within the area of its reflector. In my case, even the wood floor is warmer!

Presently typing in a warm bedroom, I have a 1500w convection heater running. When I stand up, i find most of the heated air was warming the ceiling! Opening the door to the "Great Room" (no ceiling), i walk into a nice warm moderate environment. Putting a hand on the wood of the sofa nearest my antique radiant heater I find that it has warmed up--so much so, I worry about preserving the finish!

The iron wood stove--starting empty and cold--can be heated by any heater, and continue to re-radiate heat after the electric heater is turned off. Of course, it's hardly efficient to use elecricity in that manner! Density is key. Placing the largest dense material item (iron anvil or granite boulder) in front of your radiant heater will soak up heat and re-radiate for a short time. That's also the principle that drives soapstone wood stove manufacturing.

Back in the 50s, I lived in a house that had "radical" radiant heat embedded in the floor. Even with a foot of snow outside, you could walk around barefoot, T-shirt and shorts. (And cool ears).

Here's Amazon's radiant heaters from $17 to $3000:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electric+..._ts-doa-p_1_16
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote