View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #144
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Hey Skip.. Great post.. By the way I love heading your directly to go to long sands.. Always a great time.

Just playing devils advocate but as you pointed out that several families on 20 footers may offset the one GFB, but now isn't that going to cause a safety issue as far as congestion. For the economy it would be great, but with things the way they are I doubt that "several" families have the extra $$ to offset.

Anyway just making polite conversation.. I agree with you on most aspects.
The economy will bottom in different areas at different times. I suspect a largely recreational and tourist area will be hurt this summer much more than some areas. We won't know until the July and August reports come in.

One of the biggest problems on Winni for smaller boats (mine is 22') on weekends has always been cruiser wakes. We used to have them parade by out on the neck all day long, with the boats lurching and yawing at the dock, begging for mercy. Trying to make it to the Weirs on a Saturday was amusing for us when younger, maybe not so funny anymore. That was in the 70's and 80's, so none of this is even remotely new.

If they're all still there, weekends are still far from an excellent experience on the lake.

I've found that on the highway, there was a dramatic change in speeds the minute gas prices headed down below $2 a gallon. Since I drive interstate daily, it's quite noticeable. While the economy has definitely gone downhill, the dramatic decrease in fuel costs should equalize the overall boating experience. If anything, hotels and restaurant would be hit harder than boating. The danger is that the loss of even 15% or less of clientele could shut down a lake business, then everyone suffers.

I remember Winni when it was pretty darn boring after 6 PM, as far as nightspots and waterfront activity went. Outside of the Weirs and a relatively tame Naswa, not much going on. It's pretty exciting to have places to go on the water, and makes for an experience that to this day I find amazing. Nothing like it. That holds for fishermen, watersports, whatever your chosen activity.

It takes a mix of people, hopefully responsible people, to make an area intriguing and pleasant. As much as I hate headway speed, there are obvious areas of congestion that should be heavily patrolled. This goes for unsafe at any speed boaters as well as cruisers with dangerous wakes. If the rules are applied evenly, and with common sense and courtesy, it makes for a better place. I hate irresponsible and dangerous boaters as much or more than anyone. It would be nice if they could be dealt with.