View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #28
HarborSide CHBay

Wow, quite a few replies.

Quote:
pcmc
The problems inconsiderate people create are some of the most difficult to solve. If they aren't aware that they are inconveniencing you directly nothing will get resolved.
Agreed.

Of note, we've emailed and personally communicated with the direct abutters many times since 2010. So, they aren't unaware. When apprised of the safety risks and other results, they simply indicated they were going to keep them on 24/7 as they didn't want to lose their dock to the ice. I provided material on education on the matter, but it just didn't matter.

I haven't continued to harp on the issue as it doesn't result in any change to the winter dock deicers. Also, as 25+ year abutters, we've worked really well on most other matters and (with a single exception) the people in the small association abutters are genuinely decent and considerate and enjoy the lake with their families.

Deicers are also necessary to protect the docks. Operated appropriately, and I strongly recommend a qualified professional contractor, they have minimal impact on the surrounding water. It is the wanton, inappropriate operation is the issue, as the risk has to be retributed back to the owner and operator from the harmed parties "in order to compel appropriate operation."

So, I looked at it again this year when one added a 2nd diecer (these are propeller units, motor inside a large white PCV suspended by ropes). MY PURPOSE is not for my benefit at all, I am not seeking currently to access the lake. MY PURPOSE is, when even reasonable people don't make good decisions, to find out what can be done to PROTECT; others and ourselves.

Others ~ from (1) a low perspective of the public right to recreate on the lake to (2) a high of to do so without the risk of harm and even death. We view the bay out of our windows every day and we are aware of the open water and the potential for weakened ice everywhere which way from each. OTHERS that go on the lake without this knowledge don't know; especially if there is recent snow. Whether it is ice fisherman, skaters/snowshoers/XX skiers, second homeowners coming up for a weekend or snowmobilers, they don't know.

I can't legislate or enforce, so I want to put the issue before state and local governance and safety/law enforcement.

Ourselves ~ If, or when, someone gets hurt or worse, we ARE NOT going to allow ourselves to even remotely be RESPONSIBLE. I've got my deicers unplugged, and have for years.

In really cold spells like now, I have no ice at all 80' out. In regular winters, I can sometimes have enough water to dock my Formula 280SS and several properties. If you look at some of the earlier pictures, in warmer time periods, hundreds of feet of shoreline were open hundreds of feet out into the lake.

Next

I'm gathering the information referred to in the first 2013 post to submit to the parties mentioned. Those in governance, and in safety/law enforcement, at the state and local level, are the only ones that can legislate and then enforce.

The following post is a narrative of what seems to be the 'trending regulations in several states based on the original Muskoka issue.

I'd be interested in comments from all perspectives on if this would work here.