View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I can't bring myself to have WiFi at camp, so we use mobile access exclusively. For web access, virtual meetings, etc. it works fine, though peak hours (mid-day and early evening weekends) it can slow down a bit.

Though we have the cheapest possible planĀ—prepaid AT&TĀ—I'm still not sure I'd use it for television as that must eat up data and even the "unlimited" is still usually capped at 20GB.

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses their phone hotspot for streaming video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Where I am in Tuftonboro there isn't any high speed internet (cable) available. It's all around me but being the only home on top of a hill they won't bring it up. I've talked to various suppliers over the years but they won't do it.
I have direct TV and satellite access is available, Hughes Net or some other, but I haven't heard good things about it considering what it costs.
DSL isn't available to me either.
So, I use my ATT unlimited plan cell signal through a hot spot. I have 2 lines each with 15 GB hot spot for a total of 30. Even with this, streaming video along with our regular everyday use would eat that in a month. We tried it early on and after my wife watched some episodes of her favorite shows, I could see it wasn't going to work. Sometimes we do it or just cast the video from phone to tv using just the data plan without hotspot. Quality suffers a little bit but she gets by with it.
Have to keep an eye on usage and sometimes have to back down towards end of billing cycle.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote