View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #73
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
Personally speaking, the one truism that is paramount, and that I give a ... about, is town meeting day. The one day a year the town is a true democracy (majority rules), not just a republic (elected officials, right-wrong-indifferent). The rest is entertainment!

Next year's town warrant (2021) should be including the change of town meeting day from March to May, since we've already approved going to a fiscal year. Let's get the snow birds to have a say at town meeting!
I would agree with you but there is one, key problem with this view. Many times, there have been hearings after hearings, meetings after meetings, discussing an article, all public, where anyone could attend and influence the structure (or defeat) of an article. But no one shows until town meeting time where you either need to spend hours rehashing all the pros and cons that have already been covered in the other meetings, or frustratingly watch as an article is approved or defeated by voters who have not done their homework or taken the time to truly understand the issue.

No one can attend all the meetings. I'm not suggesting that. But if you care about a particular issue, read the meeting minutes, watch the meeting broadcast/video (most are online these days), and don't wait until Town Meeting day for someone to educate you in 5 minutes.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote