View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
I am very new to boating. I recently purchased a 21 foot pontoon. I try to make sure the weather is good and calm for a newbie like me before i go out. However couple of time the weather got windy suddenly and scaring me and my kids. Today the boat took water a few times. One of the waves was so violent that it bent and popped the aluminum plate in front door out. I was fast but not too fast, maybe 15 mph. The boat has 90hp engine so it doesn't go so fast anyway. We live in broads so i can't avoid the open area.

Do you guys have any advice about when we should go out for boating for weather? Todays weather shows 10mps winds abd 15 nohs gusts. Is that too much for me?...my be i am not driving the boat propoerly? Yes i have a boating license.
Always add 50% more wind than what your local weathermen says. You are after all in more wide open area which allows the wind to pickup speed more quickly. For example according to my weather station here on the lake show today’s wind at average 15 mph with gusts to 21 mph.

I assume your 21’ pontoon is a double log boat and not a Tri-toon. I definitely would not want to be crossing the broads today in that boat!

Dan