View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Voltage meter got trashed when it dropped onto concrete... Arg.......

Anyway, one test I didn't do up to now, was one mentioned near top of post by 'VitaBene'.... Try to spin the flywheel ! Simple....

Had to remove 6 screws holding down flywheel cover, then got a big wrench and turned flywheel nut. At first it was extremely difficult to turn the flywheel, then it spun free easy !

I turned a few more times and it did turn hard at one point in the cycle, I suspect when cylinders were going up and down. That first turn was definitely hard turn.

I turned engine off, and then was able to restart again, without issues?

OK, so what's going on here Forum folks, has me stumped?

Thanks again for all your great comments especially to 'VitaBene' !
As others have mentioned, this sounds precisely like a hydro-lock condition and if so, you have two problems:

1. The electric fuel shut off valve is leaking. This valve is normally closed and only opens when voltage is applied. It is the only electrical device that is attached to your carburetor. You can find it on the bottom.

2. The float valve is leaking.

Fresh/treated fuel may cure both of these problems. In the mean time, there are two things you can do to prevent major engine failure:

1. Keep the fuel level in the tank lower than the top of the carburetor fuel bowl to prevent gravity from filling the fuel bowl when the engine is off (assuming it's a V-twin, your engine has a crankcase-pressure-pulse operated fuel pump on the right side cylinder that will fill the bowl when the engine is running even if the tank is low.).

2. Always crank the engine over a few revolutions before engaging the choke to keep it from firing until you are sure it is not hydro-locked. The starter does not have enough power to do any damage to a hydro-locked engine, but if one cylinder fires and the other is hydro-locked, it will bend a connecting rod. I do this every time I start my motorcycle. This is very similar to the technique used to start a radial aircraft engine. They always crank them over for 3+ full revolutions before turning the magnetos on to clear any oil out of the bottom cylinders. Hollywood uses this for dramatic effect trying to make the audience think the engine is struggling to start.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote