View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
no-engine

I agree with most of the suggestions.
Watch the wind forecasts. First day I had my kayak, about 10 years ago, I wanted to put it in on Lake Winnipesaukee at Meredith Launching ramp, but wind was very strong out of north/northwest. I concluded, I'd be paddling back in to the wind and white caps! I went to Waukewan's boat launching ramp. I had a strenuous paddle in to the wind, a rest in lee of an island, and then a great "sail" surfing the white caps with the wind back.

I have used Moultonboro's Lee's Mill area many times; I have friends who have summer cottages nearby. The paddling is far more protected and has many areas to explore.

Go out on Lake Wicwas from Meredith Center and Chemung Road is very pleasant, the lake seen when on Rt. 104.

Also another small lake, Kanasatka, is visible off Rt 25 just east of Center Harbor; maybe launching off Bean Road. There are launching areas & places for Squam. The State Highway Map will reveal many water bodies; there is a booklet called Gazateer, with much more detail and has indications of launching. I've also put in to Pemigiwasset River at public ramp in New Hampton, just west of i-93; ramp can be seen when driving Rt 104 towards Bristol; paddle upstream, but current is not strong. Very pleasant; I've been with friends who live a mile from there.

Remember, the Lake maps designed for navigation are referred to as Charts and show all the navigation markers, and are available laminated - waterproof & folded. Carry a compass. I suggest connecting a line to your bow, and keeping remainder in cockpit, in case you need to be towed. Wear your flotation device. I have a recycled plastic 2-quart mayonaise jar, I put my small camera and maybe cell phone to stay dry, putting it under my bungy cord across deck in front of me. If you jacket has front pockets, you can use zip bags. Common sense should prevail.....
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote