View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Default You missed the point: there's already a thread about this subject.

PM? No thanks. I have nothing to hide and I love transparency - it keeps folks honest and accountable.

I've kept on the subject - I've asked an open question - "Why do you care, really?"

You don't have a home here or a business, to the best of my knowledge. Why do you care? Why do you want to make a difference in this area after you've referred to the people here as being "white trash" in a previous post about this same issue? You look down your nose at the folks in this area and then make a post like this (above)?

You make comments about Alton's little public beach in your first post - which I'm the first to admit isn't much - but it's all we have and all the voters have approved the town to buy. (Yeah, there's a process with town beaches that includes the voters. Were you aware of that?)

But did you know that there was a huge volunteer effort made through the years to clean it up and improve it over what it was a few years ago? Hundreds of volunteer hours and thousands of dollars have gone into that little "joke" of a beach. That beach includes a lifeguard in the summer and it's also groomed by our Parks Dept in the off season. I bet your bippy you had no idea. Yeah, that's my little world.

Because NH gets much of its revenue from property owners, it doesn't behoove the towns much to have a whole lot of beaches. On one hand, those beaches can be viewed as a place for tourists, but the reality is that the towns really need the tax dollars that can be collected by the homes and/or businesses that occupy those lake-front property gems. We have no sales tax or state income tax, as I'm sure you know.

You talk about revamping the Weirs area but did you know that there's a great deal of history in that area, especially around the Civil War? Did you know that there's already a lot that's been lost from that area from fires, commercial construction, and the movement of the Christian camps that once made up that area? How does a town preserve history AND move forward, like you're suggesting, and have suggested in another thread? That's also my "little" world.

I'm very involved in my "little world" and worked hard to make a difference here. I've gotten to know the people in the area and appreciate the diversity, even if we don't value the same things, but I take exception to you referring to the people here as "white trash", and have to ask why you care after you've made a statement like that...

So, you've alienated a bunch of bikers, Laconia residents, and Hells Angels, and now the folks who've volunteered to improve the parks and beaches in Alton. I can't decide if you're just an 'Archie Bunker' type of guy or if you're just calloused. Either way, I know you're not taking the time to learn about these things and why they're the way they are before you have an opinion.

But I'm the one in a "little world"....
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post: