View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #24
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
First I want to express my gratitude to Don. I certainly would not go through what he has gone through in dealing with this BS.

I am among the most egregious persons that post to this forum challenging others, but I don’t apologize for that. I have challenged folks whether I believed in what their position on “speed limits” was or not, when I thought they were wrong I challenged them in the strongest terms I could.

Should Don shut down the Speed Limits debate? No.

I know that this is an unpopular position to take but the speed limit debate, even though the bill has been signed into law, is not over.

The law, as signed by the governor, is allegedly a temporary law that will expire January 1 2011. I think that we all know that the NH Legislature will allow this law to become permanent unless opponents of the law aren’t active and vocal and that requires continued debate. The legislature does look at THIS FORUM that you have created for guidance in their decisions.

Unless there is continued debate regarding the effectiveness of the law then making it permanent is a done deal without debate!

I have posted twice about the attitude of NH vs ME when it comes to attracting tourists and their money. I know I am not popular for raising the question, but if you think about it and you are competing against a neighboring state for tourist money…who will win given the prevailing attitudes?

Thank you Don,
Please keep the thread open.
You know, when I was reading the threads before this, I was in agreement with everyone that it was time to close the speed limit subforum.
However, after reading airwaves post above, I believe I have changed my mind, or at least I am having second thoughts. He makes a great point that the legistature does read this forum. If there is no speed limit debate, at least a public one such as this, the perception by the legislature may be that the speed limit is acceptable to the boaters on the lake.
It will be hard to put a concrete value on the effects of the speed limit, but there needs to be some place to talk about the merits of it (if there are any).

Thank you Don for all you do for the forum. Having been a moderator at another forum, I can appreciate the work that you do.