View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have notice lots of complaints about new constructions, (past 2 decades) is because of shoddy materials, not builders. They do go together at times.

I have seen new roofs replaced after a few years and battles with roofing manufacturers and installers as to who is at fault. A good engineer/project manager will tell you it can be both. Most new construction is all about time and money. Build them cheap and those who don't know will come!

I'm helping a new owner, just constructing a large home. Found lots of problems before the sidings and sheet rock goes up! Instead of fixing the problems the reputable 'Lakes Region Premier' builder is threatening to walk away! I feel sorry for the owner, who knows nothing about quality. Lesson to learn here is to work with a reputable project manager from the architectural stage. Even architects may not keep up with the times.

Lately I have seen excellent builds from prefab manufacturers such as BensenWoods out of Walpole. The materials are outstanding and the dollars per sq foot is competitive with stick built contractors. I have two customers use Bensonwoods as their contractor. WOW! I have learned a lot about quality materials and constructions. It pays to attend to details!

Check out www.bensen

A lot of timber is cut before it fully matures now. If you use exterior trim boards now, esp pine, they will rot out within 5 years.
I built a new house 10 years ago and I tried to make it as maintenance free as possible. I use quality materials, vinyl siding and plastic for all the exterior trim pieces. I used Therma-tru exterior doors throughout the house and garage. At that time they didn't offer the doors trimmed out in plastic so I put them up as offered. I used 5 quality doors and the trim rotted out on all 5 doors within 5 years.
I built a deck on another house about tan years ago and did the railings in fur. They are all rotted out and need replacing.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote