Thread: 5G and GPS
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
Here is an article that actually explains some of the issues in regards to the 5G networks (the proposed Ligado network specifically) and GPS frequencies.

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/d...1063/PT.3.4544

I think broadhopper may be mixing up the name. Lowrance is a marine electronics company which is still in business. Loran was a "long range" radio based navigation service which was decomissioned by the USCG in the late (I believe) 80's, and globally shortly after. I believe, however, they may be referring to the L-Band carrier frequencies that GPS operates on.
The USCG turned off U.S. based LORAN-C transmitters in early 2010. I was taught the use of LORAN while in USN Naval Flight Officer training on T-43 aircraft. This was in the late 80s, and a lot of what we learned then has not been a part of the syllabus for years, maybe decades, including day and night celestial navigation (just a bit less precise than GPS). I was wondering if BroadHopper was referring to LORAN-C, which wouldn't make much sense in the given context, or something else.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post: