View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #70
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Everybody gets offended by something or somebody, everyday.

Thank-you APS for making my point.

You stated that:

• Listening for weather reports,
• to music or AM radio, for talk or the crackles of lightning nearby
• to a scanner's emergency calls and
• to calls for assistance and
• to warning signals from other boats and
• to the voices of Nature, and
• to just normal conversation around
• docks
• sun decks
• the grill

Those residents impact no one's enjoyments on the lake.

(And they have the greater stake in the well-being of our lake community).

Well, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

While those activities mentioned above may not impact some people’s enjoyment, others may be greatly disturbed by your presence on the lake. There are groups of people who have been debating for decades about Man’s infringement and pollution of the lake. Docks, decks and homes are made of treated lumber. This lumber releases chemicals including Pentachlorophenol, Creosote, Sodium silicate, and Arsenic into the environment. Some make the argument that it is the lakeside residents that are doing irreparable harm to the environment and their homes and landscaping are killing the lake.

So no matter what you do, you WILL impact someone’s enjoyment of the lake.

What is the bigger evil, noise pollution or carcinogens in the soil and the water?

I guess it all depends on your perspective.
Good point but I find the logic is a bit tenuous. People on the lake ARE concerned about the impact of all these issues affecting the lake and various interventions have been studied and instituted to help protect the lake, for example the Shoreline Protection Act. Many of these issues have been studied by the NH Lakes Association and people concerned about the lake do in fact take the recommendations and/or laws seriously. Taking on the issue of noise or speed does not preclude concern and action by the same individuals about the important issues you've brought up.