View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #63
Turtle Boy

Many on this forum have been saddened by the direction the lake has taken in the last 20 years. Before coming to this forum I could see changes were needed; having witnessed some of the dominating, belittling, and selfish dialogue on the forum motivated me to become more active in recent legislation to help insure that this element could not succeed in an attempt to marginalize others on the lake. There did in fact seem to be a strong correlation between those who act this way and those who do so on the lake. That said I was amazed at the number of NH people (and out of staters) who felt the lake had indeed suffered in the last 20 years. There were innumerable comments about how "we won't go there anymore" and that "the lake is out of control".
The lack of introspection by some of those who feel their noise is not their problem makes me want to be similarly proactive, especially the immature response from dhuberty24. Acres per second's point of how some people's noise only affects them and some people's noise affects everyone is spot on. Where I live we are cognizant of how our behavior (and noise) might affect our neighbors.
Dhuberty24 might consider this next time he/she anticipates the next evening joyride. Give binoculars to your passengers for entertainment(seeing as any conversation would be near impossible) and have them scan the shore and count the number of clenched fists or other gestures directed toward his/her boat.
I also agree that boat noise, especially in the late hours, contributed greatly toward the institution of recent legislation. Thank goodness this late night boat noise is pretty much a thing of the past. And no, I won't move to a smaller lake...I have too many friends and family right here. I intend to continue to do my part to make the lake better for the future. TB